Monday, June 18, 2012

Recent NOTD: Butter London Lillibet's Jubilee

I happened to catch some of the BBC America coverage of the Thames Diamond Jubilee pageant at the beginning of June, so when I saw Butter London Lillibet's Jubilee in my untrieds while looking for my next mani color, it seemed a fitting choice. Butter London's website describes this as "a silvery, lavender metallic foil that boasts the perfect amount of sparkle". I don't know about perfection, but this does boast a lot of sparkle, that's for sure—I had trouble cleaning it off my skin and my camera had trouble focusing on it.



I used two coats of Lillibet's Jubilee but it's quite possible I could have gotten by with only one; I just wasn't prepared for that so wasn't especially careful lining up the brushstrokes on the first coat so needed a second to straighten things out. The abundance of sparkle does soften the appearance of the brushstrokes that foils are known for but I still like to get them as straight as I can.



At first glance, the color wasn't as purple-leaning as I'd hoped; mostly it just looked silver to me. When I held it next to the true silvers on Wheel U: Silvers and Friends, I could definitely see the purple in it.



This wore pretty well. My base under was Barielle Pro Nail Rebuilding Protein plus Salon Science Instant Artificials, and I topped with my usual Sally Hansen Insta Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat. Here's what it looked like in the sun almost five full days after I put it on, all of those work days, when I pound a keyboard eight or nine hours at a time and then come home and often type some more. There's some tipwear, but no chips to speak of.



Two days later, a few chips had started to show up. Before I took it off, I just had to try L'Oreal Silver Sparkle over the top of one nail to see what it could add to this sort of base. My verdict: pretty. In the background, you may be able to see one of the chips that meant Lillibet had to come off (it would have anyway because by then I was ready for something new).



All in all, I'm happy with Lillibet's Jubilee, though I do wish it were just a touch more purple.

*****


In other news, I wore the Sally Hansen Pedicure Salon Effects strips as long as I could stand them, which turned out to be six full weeks. Not one of them even partially peeled off in all that time; I'm sort of thinking they might have grown off instead of chipping or peeling off if I'd let them go that far, but it's summer and I couldn't wear sandals with this action going on (ensmallened for the sensitive but as always clickable for full size):



I'd be interested to see how the pedi strips would do on a beach vacation, but since I don't have any such vacation planned, I don't know when I'll be able to do that experiment.


16 comments:

  1. I love that there is only a touch of color in this. I haven't seen anything like it, it's really pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'v had bad luck with butter london polishs, but I really like the look of this one. Thanks for the up-date on the pedi strips, I still haven't seen them in Canada. (then again I haven't looked too hard:P) But I do want a set espically now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my wishlist but I know what you mean about the purple - I didn't know if I should get it because I have Butter London Diamond Geezer and I had a feeling they would look pretty similar. Hmmmm. Beautiful swatches though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very pretty! I like the lavender hue, though I wish there were more of it. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 6 weeks for a pedi! I don't think I could last that long without changing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I kind of skipped over this color when I was buying my Butter London polishes. Kind of wish I picked this one over The Old Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great wear indeed. I didn't see the lavender until you put it against the silver wheels so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lillibet is the only foil that I really like. I do agree with the purple not really standing out. I was also confused with the statement about holos! No holos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL those finishes are difficult for most camera's - at the moment I'm not really into it either, but the subtle purple is kind of interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butter London Lillibet's Jubilee looks very pretty. I love the layering with L'Oreal Silver Sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a very pretty color :) I love how you can see the hint of purple when you compare it to the silver polishes.
    omg the pedicure strips lasted so long! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. L'Oreal Silver Sparkle looks really beautiful on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for not showing full size feet! I am one who doesn't like to look at others feet! If this were more purple it would be something I'd think about. I used to do my toes all summer long but have gotten quite lazy in the past few years. The only reward? My toes are nice and healthy without e awful stains my poor fingers have!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.