Friday, January 20, 2012

Christian Dior Waterlily

Today I have the first Christian Dior polish to grace my stash. I wanted the first one to be Rock Coat last spring, but by the time I decided that, it was sold out. When I heard about this spring's colors, I zipped right over to Nordstrom's website to look at them before they disappeared. I was quite excited to see that Rock Coat was back in stock. I didn't stop to research whether it got re-issued or added to the core line or what; I just put it to my cart with the two spring 2012 polishes, Waterlily (green shimmer) and Forget Me Not (red violet creme). As it turned out, Waterlily arrived first, all by itself, and since it was my first Dior, I didn't want to wait to try it but swatched it as soon as I could.



I used two coats, no topcoat. That silver cap pulls off to reveal a black plastic one, which is ribbed for easy grasping. This polish is supposed to have a rose scent, but I didn't really notice it, perhaps because I've been trying to fend off a cold and am a bit stuffed up.









The shimmer in this is on the subtle side, but it's still visible in indirect indoor light, as in above photos. In brighter light, like the sunlight filtered through a window screen, as below, the shimmer does of course show up a bit more.



Since I have made nearly no progress on de-duping my stash, I found plenty of green shimmers to compare with Waterlily.



Left to right: Christian Dior Waterlily, Milani Dress Maker, Catrice Sold Out Forever, Claire's Dreamcatcher, Charlotte Russe Jade. Most of these were not as pigmented as Waterlily. Sold Out Forever was two coats, but the others all needed three to achieve a similar level of opacity.



Thumb, above: Charlotte Russe Jade. Other fingers, top to bottom (above and below): Christian Dior Waterlily, Milani Dress Maker, Catrice Sold Out Forever, Claire's Dreamcatcher.



These are all really close to each other. Waterlily is a touch darker and a bit more yellow-toned than the others.



Of all the shots I took, the one above most dramatically shows the difference between Waterlily (top nail) and the cooler mint shimmers (in this case, Dress Maker). Unless you're on a mission to have all the greens in the world, I don't think you need Waterlily if you've already got a Chanel Jade wanna be (or Jade itself—I skipped it because at the time I was holding firm against luxury brands; you see how that stance has gone by the wayside).

33 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing...I'm pretty confident that this is one I can skip as I have some close toos...and actually like the shimmer in Milani Dressmaker the most (unless I misread the order of the polishes against your fingers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted this one since I saw the press releases, but I held out and convinced myself I don't need it. I will just admire it from afar! Yay for your first Dior ;) How do you feel about the brush? Would love to hear your opinion on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is Gorgeous! I thought I was going to have to risk my wallet running away forever and grab this one when this post started. THANK YOU for saving my wallet and doing the comps lol I have two of them so I think I am safe now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for your first Dior polish!
    I just got this one 2 days ago and was going to post about it tomorrow! You beat me to that :)
    It's a great shade and it looks gorgeous on you! Thanks for comparing it to other polishes. If I had known it was almost identical to Sold Out Forever I would never have purchased it :(
    I'm sure it will look great with Rock Coat over top.
    I didn't get Forget Me Not as I'm not a purple lover.
    Another Dior you would like is Nirvana (a dream come true dark teal; check my post about it if you like), or even Safari beige (a great nude).
    I know they are outrageously expensive but the quality surely is there.
    Last time I used Nirvana it remained impeccable for 7 days without a topcoat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice green!!
    I love it!
    And so many dupes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I actually really wanted this because it reminds me of Chanel's Jade (which I stupidly didn't get). But now that I see your comparison I might stick to Catrice one, it's close enough in my books. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose scented?! That's cool! I'm afraid to know the price on a Dior polish..very pretty green, but like you showed there are alternatives. Great swatch! I love the subtle shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your first Dior, I haven't any either :) Waterlilly is very nice, I like it the best of those you have shown :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous shade. I'm also partial to green polishes haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is very pretty, but I think I will pass on it (and hope I won't regret it) since I already have Milani Dressmaker. Thanks for the comparison; it was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my biggest lemming at the moment. It's so gorgeous! The fact that it's supposed to be scented makes it even more desirable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for comparing these greens with each other. I was planning to buy waterlilly today. I can skip it now and save 23 euro's;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh fancy :) Such a pretty color. I love the comparison with the other greens

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous green! I love the subtle shimmer in it. I missed out on Chanel Jade and Milani Dressmaker. This is going on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't this polish yet, but i'm definitely gonna buy it
    but I don't think rock coat is sold out, i saw it last week

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! But somehow even with passion about mint shades, I could get over not having Waterlily from Dior. But I love it, and Milani's Dress Maker too. But if I could choose one from Dior right now, it would be Nirvana, that is still on my list and I can't get over it. It's a teal fever!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually just got my first Dior polish the other day as well! I did not like the brush did you? This water lily is pretty but nothing new or spectacular. Can't wait to see your last year lemming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this color! Its amazing you have so many like it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I usually don`t like green nail polishes, but this one is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So gorgeous! I'm trying to convince myself that I shouldn't get it. Thanks for the comparison shots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Extremely pretty! I love these shades of green

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your first Dior, perfect choice! It's such a pretty shade! Special thanks for the comparison - very wallet-friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a gorgeous green!! Thanks for sharing the comparison. Clearly only one is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the comparison! I was wondering if it was a dupe to Catrice SOF :) Now I know I don't need Waterlily.X

    ReplyDelete
  25. I still don't know or I will buy him. It's a great colour and it is rose scented! But I have the Catrice dupe, so is it worth the money? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks, ladies!

    Larie and Fingers, I didn't have any particular problems with the brush. It is on the wide side, but I have fairly wide nails, so that's fine for me.

    greeneyespinknails, I will have to take a look at Nirvana.

    ChromaCraze, they're not cheap, for sure ($23 for .33 fl. oz.)--but shipping was free from Nordstrom. :)

    tytynette, oh Rock Coat definitely disappeared from online shops not too long after it was first released--I checked a bunch of them once I decided I needed it.

    luckypolish, only you can decide that, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  27. if you ever decide that you need the rock coat, I could probably get you one, bout I live in France,

    ReplyDelete
  28. tytynette, thanks for the offer. Rock Coat is back in stock here now, so I picked one up when I got Waterlily. Now I just need to find time to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. ok then perfect
    can't wait to see what you're gonna do with it
    here it's strange, we still have some of the polishes from Anselm Reyle in a store, don't know why they didn't sell much

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pretty shade, but not that unique...Anyway light green polish with shimmer is quite popular also this Spring (present in YSL limited edition for instance)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooh thanks for the Claire's dupe! I'm looking for exact dupes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.