Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Franken: Tankini Top

Today I have my first attempt at making a franken to dupe a commercial polish. This one rattled around in my head for a while, ever since I did the comparison of Sally Hansen Complete Salon Barracuda and Rescue Beauty Lounge Bikini Bottom since back in June. To refresh all our memories, here's the comparison between the two:


Top to bottom: Bikini Bottom (4 coats), Barracuda (2 coats).


Looking at that, and reading over the comments on the comparison entry, I knew I needed to make Barracuda more sheer and murky to mimic Bikini Bottom. For the sheerness, I needed clear, which was easy enough to find in my frankening drawer. For the murkiness, I wasn't sure; greyed green seemed the right direction, so I grabbed white and black for the grey part and a green from my stash. Here are the raw materials I used:


Left to right: Barracuda, Sally Hansen Clear'd for Takeoff, Wet 'n' Wild French White Creme, Nina Ultra Pro Salsa, Wet 'n' Wild Black Creme.


To make the franken, I poured a lot of the Barracuda into an empty bottle, added some clear, and then added the white, black, and green a few drops at a time. I'd mix it up, swatch on paper next to a swatch of Bikini Bottom, figure out what was missing, add that, swatch on paper again, and so on and so on. It was a process of trial and error, pretty much.

When I had something I thought was close, I moved on to swatching on my nails. First I put four coats of Bikini Bottom on one finger so I could see what I was aiming for. Once on the nail, I could see my franken was not sheer enough, so I added more clear (and cleaned off some nails so I could apply the new version). Still not sheer enough, so more clear, more cleaning, and I decided it was close enough. The franken only takes two coats to Bikini Bottom's four, so it's still not sheer enough to be a true dupe, and I think I could go a little more murky, too, but I think it has a very similar feel. (Somewhere along the way, I smudged the Bikini Bottom nail but failed to notice until I looked at these photos later.)


Top to bottom: Bikini Bottom (4 coats), franken final version #3 (2 coats), franken version #2, franken version #1.



Top to bottom: Bikini Bottom, franken.




I'm tempted to work some more with this to try and get it closer, but there are so many other things I want to do, I think I'll leave it be. It was a fun experiment but since I do have Bikini Bottom, I don't really need to make myself a true dupe as well.


22 comments:

  1. It's pretty darn close! Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooo pretty I'm absolutely in love with the blue shades right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks dead on to me! How cool! I'm always in awe of you ladies who do frankens...so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks verrrry close to me! I'd be more inclined to use the franken...less time applying 4 coats of polish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great dupe to me! The colour is beautiful looking:) You're really good at frankening^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very close for sure! Awesome color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome franken! It looks super close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool! The only commercial polish I've tried to dupe before is For Audrey, but since I didn't have it mine was a little off! But it was a nice color anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turned out really well! Your blog always makes me want to try frankening... maybe I should pick up some empty bottles next time I'm out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing franken! Very close to RBL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! That's a beautiful franken! It looks exactly like RBL!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are SO SUPER CLEVER!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!! I actually think it looks more like the original BB that my friend had which looked slightly more aquatic and a touch more greenish than the 2nd release BB that I owned. I might ask her to lend it to me so I can do a comparison for my blog. Super job as always!!
    BV

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a gentle color :-D
    i like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! Great pictures! You've got my follow =]

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've definitely got pretty darn close!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The blue shades are so pretty. Looks really similar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i just came back to study this post because i want to franken this!! i recently saw a picture of Glitter In The Air over Bikini Bottom and it is gorgeous!! gotta make myself a suitable dupe :)
    i don't have barracuda, i think i might use Take Me To Your Chateau... hmm. i'll let you know how it goes!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.